Can we ever grow out of cakes and muffins? I haven’t been able to do so. I have lived for over 4 decades now and the fascination of cakes and muffins has lived on. It won’t be wrong to say that it has grown over the years. Sadly, moderation has to be exercised.
That, however, does deter me from baking. And also from trying out something different occasionally. There is a lot of emphasis on healthy eating, due to obvious reasons, so my muffins also try to keep up with the trend. Almonds are healthy and hence a good idea to include them into the cake or muffin mix.
How do I include almonds in my cakes? I roast them on a hot girdle. When cool, I grind them. This powder can be easily added to cake mixes.
Adding roasted and powdered almond not only adds a healthy twist to the muffin but also gives it a nutty flavour and a grainy texture.
*Notes: After measuring 1 cup of wholewheat flour take out 2 tablespoons. We will replace these 2 tablespoons of flour with 2 tablespoons of almond powder.
Vanilla Almond Muffins (Wholewheat)
Vanilla muffins with a nutty almond flavour
- Eggs - 2
- Wholewheat flour - 1 cup* (read notes)
- Almond powder - 2 heaped tablespoons
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil - 1/2 cup
- Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Milk - 3 tbsps
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degree Centigrade.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Line a muffin tray with muffin cups.
- Separate the eggs.
- In a large bowl whip the egg whites and vanilla essence till light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar and whip again for a minute on medium speed.
- Add oil to sugar and egg white mix and whip for another minute.
- By now the batter should be light, fluffy and creamy.
- Add one yolk at a time, mixing lightly in between.
- Add the flour and almond powder and mix using the cut and fold method.
- Lastly add the milk and mix well.
- Pour into lined muffin cups.
- Bake at 180 degree Centigrade for 25 to 30 minutes.
- The muffins are done when the skewer comes out clean.