Chocolate! Vanilla! Chocolate! The competition between the two flavours can go on and on. We all love these two basic cake flavours and can never get enough of them. Marble cakes are a simple way of getting the best of both the tastes.
With the given ingredients this recipe will yield six decent sized muffins which will surely leave you satiated for some time. The fact that they are whole wheat takes away the guilt of this sweet indulgence. Besides it is a healthy snack for the kids as well.
Whole Wheat Marble Muffin
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup sunflower oil (canola oil can also be used)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Sift the wheat flour and the baking powder together to ensure complete incorporation of the two ingredients. Set aside
- Line six muffin cups with baking paper cups. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add egg whites and sugar. Using an electric beater beat the mixture to get a smooth and frothy mix. It should start forming peaks and have lots of air bubbles trapped inside. This is an important step as it ensures the muffins being light and fluffy.
- Add the oil to the beaten egg whites and sugar. Beat again for another five minutes by gradually increasing the speed of the beater. The oil should be well mixed.
- Add vanilla essence and beat a little.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, beating for half a minute in the intervals.
- Fold in the flour in the mix in two batches. Make sure not to beat. What you need to do in fold it into the mixture to ensure no air bubbles escape. Beating the flour too much may result in a flat muffin.
- Divide the batter into two bowls. In one bowl add the cocoa powder and mix well.
- Now to prepare the marble muffins – pour one tbsp of the chocolate batter followed by one tbsp. of the vanilla. Last of all, top with half a tablespoon of the chocolate batter. Repeat with all muffin cups.
- To create the marble effect, run a skewer in a circular motion through each muffin. Take care not to tear the paper cup at the base as it becomes way too soft by the batter.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 25 – 30 minutes. The muffins should rise and be springy to the touch. A skewer inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Remove from muffin cups and enjoy!
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Yummly Rich Recipes