Before the recipe a few notes and tips:
- This is a Bihari dish and the sattu used here is roasted gram flour.
- The ingredient list may look a little too long but it contains of some very simple and everyday stuff that we always have at home.
- When preparing the filling, add water one tablespoon at a time. Too much water may make it sticky and difficult to handle. When you hold the mix in your fist it should retain the shape.
- Too dry a mix can cause the filling to break out of the dough while rolling.
- Keep the dough on a medium soft side. This helps hold the filling inside the dough when rolling.
For an authentic Bihari meal, serve parathas with baigan bharta. Can also serve with pudina chutney, curd and pickle.
So let’s get going.
If you enjoy the recipe please feel free to leave a feedback in the comments section and if you do not like it please be sure to leave a feedback. It will help me look into my mistakes.
For the dough
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp Oil/Ghee
- 1 tsp Carrom seeds
For the filling
- 1 cup Sattu
- 1 no. Onion chopped
- 5-6 nos. Garlic cloves chopped
- 1 inch Ginger grated
- 1 no. Green chilli chopped Add more if you wish to
- 2 tbsp Corriander leaved chopped
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- A pinch Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 tsp Carrom seeds (Ajwain)
- 1 tsp Nigella seeds (Kalonji)
- 2 tbsp Pickle masala with oil Preferably mango pickle
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt to taste
- Ghee to prepare the parathas
- Mix the dough ingredients, add enough water to make a soft dough.
- Mix all filling ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add 3-4 tbsps of water and mix well. When held in a fist, the filling should retain its shape.
- Divide the dough into 12 lemon sized balls.
- Divide the filling into 12 portions.
- To make the paratha, dust the dough with dry flour and using both thumbs make a small cup shape.
- Add one filling portion to the cup and seal the edges.
- Roll out the dough with the filling.
- Roast on a medium hot tava.
- Flip over when bubbles appear on the surface.
- Roast for another minute on the other side.
- Add a tsp of ghee to the paratha sides on the surface. Flip
- Cook till golden brown spots appear on both sides.
- Repeat for the remaining dough and filling portions.
- Serve hot.